Registration Deadline: The deadline to register to vote for any election is 21 days prior to that election.
Party Affiliation: Each party chooses the groups of voters they allow to vote in their primary.
VOTER REGISTRATION QUALIFICATIONS
Age: Be 18 years of age or older
Citizenship: Must be a United States citizen
Residency: Must be a resident of Kansas
Felony Convictions: If you have been convicted of a felony, you must have received final discharge from imprisonment, parole, or conditional release
ID Requirements for Registering: You must enter your current Kansas driver’s license number or non-driver’s identification card number. If you do not have either one, enter the last four digits of your Social Security number. If you do not have any of these numbers,
write “none” in the box.
If you are registering for the first time in Kansas, you must submit
proof of United States citizenship. You may provide a copy on paper or
electronically, or you may show the document to an election officer or
official registrar. The following is a partial list of acceptable documents:
- Birth certificate that verifies U.S. citizenship
- U.S. passport (may be expired)
- U.S. naturalization documents or the number of the certificate of
- Bureau of Indian Affairs card number, tribal treaty number or tribal
- U.S. hospital record of birth indicating place of birth in the U.S.
- U.S. military record of service showing the applicant’s name and U.S.
OBTAINING A VOTER REGISTRATION FORM
Online: Click on this link
In person: Registration forms are available at many locations established by the county election officer. Contact your county elections office to find out where you can pick up a registration form.
By fax: Contact your county elections official for faxing option.
VERIFYING YOUR VOTER REGISTRATION STATUS
OBTAINING AN ABSENTEE BALLOT
In person: Visit your local county elections office to apply for advance voting.
Military and overseas voting: Military and overseas voters can register with Federal Services voting and vote by mail, fax, or electronically from outside their county. Learn more here.
SUBMITTING AN ABSENTEE BALLOT
Location and time: Advance ballots are sent and accepted 20 days before the election. You may also vote in person in the county election office up to 20 days before the election. See specific times, locations, and updates here.
Early voting qualifications: To vote early, Kansas offers registration for advance voting. Any registered voter may vote before election day.
Other information for early voting: Download the advance voting application. (Spanish Version) Or contact your county election officer to request an application. Turn the completed application into your county election officer. You may vote in person or by mail as long as your ballot is received by the county election office by close of polls on election day.
Verifying Registration: Kansas online voter registration verification
Deciding how to vote: https://votesmart.org/
Polling Place: Kansas polling place locator
ID Requirements: All voters must show photographic identification when casting a vote in person. Acceptable forms of photo ID are as follows:
- A driver's license or non driver's identification card issued by Kansas or by another state or district or the United States;
- A concealed carry of handgun license issued by Kansas or a concealed carry of handgun or weapon license issued by another state or district of the United States;
- A United States Passport;
- An employee badge or identification document issued by a municipal, county, state or federal government office;
- A military identification document issued by the United States;
- A student identification card issued by an accredited post-secondary institution of education in the state of Kansas;
- A public assistance identification card issued by a municipal, county, state or federal government office;
- An identification card issued by an Indian tribe
How to Vote: Kansas voter guides
Getting your vote counted: Kansas voters rights and responsibilities
Verifying absentee ballot status: Kansas absentee ballot tracker