Registration Deadline: Initial registration or registration changes must be made at least 30 days prior to an election. Once your application is processed, a notice will be mailed to you within 3 to 4 weeks.
Party Affiliation: Primary voting limits are dependent upon party by-laws, certain voters may choose their primary.
- Alaska Democratic Party, Alaska Libertarian Party and Alaskan Independence Party Candidate with Ballot Measures ballot: Any registered voter may vote this ballot
- Alaska Republican Party Candidate with Ballot Measures ballot: Voter registered as Republican, Nonpartisan, or Undeclared may vote this ballot.
- Ballot Measures Only : Any registered voter may vote this ballot.
VOTER REGISTRATION QUALIFICATIONS
Age: Must be at least 18 years old or within 90 days of your 18th birthday
Citizenship: Must be a United States Citizen
Residency: Must be a resident of Alaska and of the election district for at least 30 days before election day. If not already registered to vote in Alaska and initially registering to vote from outside the state of Alaska, either by mail, fax or email, you must provide proof of Alaska residency by submitting a copy of one of the following documents with your voter registration application:
- Current Alaska driver's license;
- Current Alaska hunting or fishing license;
- proof of Alaska student loan and college tuition showing Alaska as state of residency;
- military leave and earning statement indicating Alaska as place of residence;
- proof of employment in Alaska indicating date of employment; or
- other documentation that supports your claim as an Alaska resident.
Not be registered to vote in another state unless you are willing to cancel your registration in the other state.
Felony Convictions: not be a convicted felon, unless your voting rights have been restored
ID Requirements; To register in Alaska you will need to submit a copy of one of the following forms of identification:
- current and valid photo identification
- driver's license
- state identification card
- birth certificate
OBTAINING AND RETURNING A VOTER REGISTRATION FORM
- divisions of Elections offices
- division of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
- voter registrars
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
By mail/ in writing: Send completed application to Regional Elections Office
VERIFYING YOUR VOTER REGISTRATION STATUS
Online: Alaska Voter Registration Lookup
ABSENTEE BALLOT QUALIFICATIONS
Who can vote absentee: "no-excuse" absentee voting; anyone can choose to vote through an absentee by mail ballot.
OBTAINING AN ABSENTEE BALLOT
In person: Most absentee early vote and in-person voting sites open 15 days before Election Day and remain open through Election Day. Times and dates may vary depending on the location and/or community. Locate an absentee early vote and in-person voting location here.
By mail: Voters may begin applying for a by-mail ballot beginning in January of each election year, absentee ballots by mail must be received by the Division of Elections no later than ten (10) days prior to the election.
Mail to: Absentee and Petition Office
2525 Gambell Street, Suite 105
Anchorage, Alaska 99503-2838
Military and overseas voting: Resources for Military and Overseas Voters
Early voting qualifications: "no-excuse" absentee and early voting; anyone can choose to vote through an absentee or early ballot. See absentee voting for registration forms and procedures.
Other information for early voting: Most early polling locations open 15 days prior to an election, times vary upon location.
Verifying Registration: Alaska Voter Registration Lookup
Deciding how to vote: https://votesmart.org/
Polling Place: Alaska Polling Place Finder
How to Vote: Alaska supplies detailed instructions on how to vote on election day.
Getting your vote counted: Alaska publishes the detailed process by which votes are counted.
Problems with voting: HAVA Voter Complaint Form
Verifying absentee ballot: Click on this link