Registration Deadline: The voter registration deadline is generally 28 days before the election. Specific election dates and registration deadlines are available here.
Party Affiliation: Georgia has an open primary system; it is not necessary to be registered with the party to vote in primary elections.
VOTER REGISTRATION QUALIFICATIONS
Age: At least 17 1/2 years old to register and 18 to vote
Citizenship: Must be a United States citizen
Residency: Must be a legal resident of the county in which you wish to vote
Mental Competency: Have not been found mentally incompetent by a judge
Felony Convictions: Not be serving a sentence for conviction of a felony involving moral turpitude
ID Requirements:Georgia law requires Georgia residents to show photo identification when voting in person. Acceptable forms of identification include:
- Any valid state or federal government issued photo ID, including a FREE Voter ID Card issued by your county registrar's office or the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS)
- A Georgia Driver's License, even if expired
- Valid employee photo ID from any branch, department, agency, or entity of the U.S. Government, Georgia, or any county, municipality, board, authority or other entity of this state
- Valid U.S. passport ID
- Valid U.S. military photo ID
- Valid tribal photo ID
If you do not have one of the six acceptable forms of photo ID, the State of Georgia offers a free ID Card. An ID card can be issued at any county registrar's office or Department of Driver Services Office free of charge.
To receive a voter identification card, the voter must provide:
- A photo identity document or approved non-photo identity document that includes full legal name and date of birth
- Documentation showing the voter's date of birth
- Evidence that the applicant is a registered voter
- Documentation showing the applicant's name and residential address
OBTAINING A VOTER REGISTRATION FORM
By mail/ in writing: Download and print a form and mail it to the Secretary of State(address found on form).
By fax: Contact your local board of registrars for faxing options.
VERIFYING YOUR VOTER REGISTRATION STATUS
Online: Verify your registration online.
Who can vote absentee: Any registered Georgia voter may vote by absentee ballot.
OBTAINING AN ABSENTEE BALLOT
Online: Obtain form online.
By mail: Mail a completed form to your local County Board of Registrars Office.
Military and overseas voting: Find more information at the Georgia Secretary of State's Military and Overseas Voter information page.
Location and time: Refer to The Elections and Voter Registration Calendars for information on this year’s due dates.
Mail, fax, email, or present the form in person to your local County Board of Registrar's Office.
Early voting qualifications: Early voting is the same as absentee in person voting and requires no further registration nor qualifications.
Deciding how to vote: https://votesmart.org/
Problems with voting: Georgia voter complaint form
Verifying provisional ballot status: Use Georgia's "My Voter Page" to check your ballot status.
Verifying absentee ballot status: Use Georgia's "My Voter Page"