Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category


Registration Deadline:  For the full calendar of deadlines click here.

Party Affiliation: Political party enrollment is optional but in order to vote in a primary election of a political party, a voter must enroll in that political party, unless state party rules allow otherwise.


Age: Must be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file this form (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote)

Citizenship: Must be a United States citizen

Residency: Must live at your present address at least 30 days before an election
and not claim the right to vote elsewhere

Mental Competency: Must not be declared mentally incompetent by a court

Felony Convictions: Must not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction

ID Requirements: 
   -DMV Number(driver's license number or non-driver ID number);
   -Last four digits of your social security number; or
   -Copy of a valid photo ID, current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, government check, or some other government document that shows your name or address.
  If your identity is not verified before Election Day, you will be asked for ID when you vote for the first time. 


Online: voter registration application
In person: In addition to the 
County Board of Elections offices, you may apply to register to vote at any of the following New York State agency offices.
   -Department of Motor Vehicles
   - Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services
   - City Universities of New York(CUNY)
   - Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired
   - Commission on Quality of Care and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities
   - Department of Health-
WIC Program
   - Department of Labor
   - Department of Social Services
   - Department of State
   - Division of Veterans’ Affairs
   - Military Recruiting Offices
   - Office for the Aging
   - Office of Mental Health
   - Office
for People with Developmental Disabilities
   - State Universities of New York(SUNY)
   - Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities
   - Workers’ Compensation Board

By mail/ in writing: 
Enter your name directly into the NY Department of Elections mailing list database to have a voter registration form mailed to you. Or turn in an online form to your local county Board of Elections officeOther Voter Registration Application Information: You can call our 1-800-FOR-VOTE hotline to request a voter application.


Online: voter registration verification

Phone: Contact your County Board of Elections



Who can vote absentee:
   -You must be absent from your county or, if a resident of New York City absent from said city, on Election Day
   -Unable to appear at the polls due to temporary or permanent illness or disability; or because you are the primary care giver of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled.
   -A patient or inmate in a Veterans' Administration Hospital.
   -Detained in jail awaiting Grand Jury action or confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than a felony.


Online: Absentee Ballot application

In person: 
Applications for Absentee Ballots are available at your County Board of Elections office. Applications must be delivered no later than the day before the election in person.

By mail: Download an Absentee Ballot application and mail it to your county board no later than the seventh day before the election. You may also request an Absentee Ballot by sending a letter to your county board of elections. The letter must be received by your county board no earlier than 30 days and no later than seven days before the election. The letter must contain the following information:
   -the address where you are registered
   -an address where the ballot is to be sent
   -the reason for the request, and
   -the signature of the voter
  If you use this method an application form will be mailed with your ballot. The application form must be completed and returned with your ballot. 

Military and overseas voting: Persons serving in the military,
along with their spouses and/or dependents may register as a military voter in New York. United States citizens living outside of the United States whose last U.S. residence was New York, along with their children, may register as a special federal voter in New York, entitling them to receive an absentee ballot for all federal races. See more Military and Overseas voter information here. 

Other absentee ballot information:If you are permanently ill or disabled, you have the right to receive an Absentee Ballot for each subsequent election without further application. Simply file an application with your county board of elections indicating permanent illness or physical disability. You will then automatically receive an absentee ballot for every election until your registration is canceled. 


Location and time: In person absentee ballots must be delivered the day before the election by the elector. Mailed absentee ballots must be mailed no later than the seventh day before the election.

Other absentee ballot submission information: If you cannot pick up your ballot, or will not be able to receive it through the mail, you have the right to designate someone to pick it up for you. Only that person designated on your application may pick up and deliver your ballot.


Early voting qualifications: There is no early voting available, however qualified absentee voters may submit their ballots in person before Election Day.


Verifying Registration: 
voter registration verification

Deciding how to vote:

Polling Place: 
voter registration verification and polling place locator

How to Vote: 
voting systems

Problems with voting: 
HAVA Complaint Form

Verifying provisional ballot status: contact your county Board of Elections

Verifying absentee ballot status: contact your county Board of Elections




Skip to top

Help us stay free for all your Fellow Americans

Just $5 from everyone reading this would do it.

Back to top