Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category


Registration Deadline: The deadline to register to vote for any election is 21 days prior to that election.

Party Affiliation: Each party chooses the groups of voters they allow to vote in their primary.


Age: Be 18 years of age older

Citizenship: Must be a United States citizen

Residency: Must be a resident of Kansas

Mental Competency: There are no laws in regards to mental competency.

Felony Convictions: If you have been convicted of a felony, you must have received final discharge from imprisonment, parole, or conditional release

ID Requirements:
Beginning January 1, 2013, any person registering to vote in Kansas for the first time will be required to provide satisfactory evidence of United States citizenship. Individuals registered to vote in Kansas as of the effective date of this requirement are deemed to have submitted proof of citizenship and are exempt from the requirement as long as they remain on the voter registration list. The following is a list of documents acceptable as evidence of U.S. Citizenship for registration purposes:

   -Driver's license or non driver's identification card issued by the Division of Vehicles (or the equivalent governmental agency of another state within the U.S. if the agency indicates on the applicant's driver's license or non driver's identification card that the person has provided satisfactory proof of U.S. citizenship)
   -Birth certificate that verifies U.S. citizenship;
   -U.S. passport or pertinent pages of the applicant's U.S. valid or expired passport identifying the applicant and the applicant's passport number;
   -U.S. naturalization documents or the number of the certificate of naturalization. (If only the number of the certificate of naturalization is provided, the applicant shall not be included on the registration rolls until the number of the certificate of naturalization is verified with the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services by the county election officer or the Secretary of State, pursuant to 8 U.S.C. § 1373(c))
   -Other documents or methods of proof of U.S. citizenship issued by the federal government pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952
   -Bureau of Indian Affairs card number, tribal treaty card number or tribal enrollment number
   -Consular report of birth abroad of a citizen of the U.S. 
   -Certificate of citizenship issued by the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services
   -Certification of report of birth issued by the U.S. Department of State
   -American Indian card, with KIC classification, issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security(Note: This document applies only to a small Texas band of the Kickapoo tribe with slightly more than 50 members.)
   -Final adoption decree showing the applicant's name and U.S. birthplace
   -U.S. military record of service showing applicant's place of birth in the U.S.
   -Extract from a U.S. hospital record of birth created at the time of the applicant's birth indicating the applicant's place of birth in the U.S.


Online: Kansas voter registration application or register by downloading a form.

In person:Registration forms are available at many locations established by the county election officer
   - County Election Office
- Secretary of State's Office
- Banks
   - Libraries
   - Schools
   - Government offices
   - Driver's license offices
   - Public assistance providing agencies

By mail/ in writing: Complete a voter registration form and send it to your county elections official.

By fax: Contact your county elections official for faxing option.


Online: Kansas voter registartion verification

Phone: Contact your County Elections Office


Who can vote absentee:
With advance/absentee voting, any registered voter can vote by mail or in person before Election Day.


Online: Kansas Advance/Absentee ballot application

In person: Visit your local county elections office to apply for advance voting.

By mail: Contact your county election officer to request an application for an advance voting ballot.

Military and oversees voting: Military and overseas voters can register with Federal Services voting and vote by mail, fax, or electronically from outside their county. Learn more here.

Emergency Voting: Kansas allows voters to apply for advance voting until the Friday before the election date.


Location and time: Advance ballots are sent and accepted from the 20 days before the election. You may also vote in person in the county election office up to 20 days before the election. See specific times, locations, and update here.


Early voting qualifications: To vote early, Kansas offers registration for advance voting. Any registered voter may vote before election day.

Other information for early voting: Download the advance voting application. Or contact your county election officer to request an application. Turn the completed application into your county election officer. You may vote in person or by mail as long as your ballot is received by the county election office by close of polls on election day.


Verifying Registration: Kansas online voter registration verification

Deciding how to vote:

Time off to vote: Any registered voter may leave work for a period up to two hours to vote. If the polls are open before or after the work shift, however, the voter may only take such time off that, when added to the amount of time before or after work that the polls are open, does not exceed two hours.

Polling Place: Kansas polling place locator

ID Requirements: All voters must show photographic identification when casting a vote in person. Acceptable forms of photo ID are as follows:

   -A driver's license or non driver's identification card issued by Kansas or by another state or district or the United States;
   -A concealed carry or handgun license issued by Kansas or a concealed carry of handgun or weapon license issued by another state or district of the United States;
   -A United States Passport;
   -An employee badge or identification document issued by a municipal county state or federal government office;
   -A military identification document issued by the United States;
   -A student identification card issued by an accredited postsecondary institution of education in the state of Kansas;
   -A public assistance identification card issued by a municipal, county, state or federal government office;
   -An identification card issued by an Indian tribe

How to Vote: Kansas voter guides and view voting systems by county.

Getting your vote counted: Kansas voters rights and responsibilities

Problems with voting: Kansas Voter Fraud & Complaint Form

Verifying provisional ballot status: Every voter has the right to vote on a provisional ballot. Contact your local county elections office to learn how to keep track of your ballot's status.

Verifying absentee ballot status: Kansas absentee ballot tracker


Skip to top
Back to top