THE MERCENARY TRAINING CONTROL ACT (SEPTEMBER 19, 2007) -- (Extensions of Remarks - September 25, 2007)
[Page: E1974] GPO's PDF
HON. BOB FILNER
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2007
* Mr. FILNER. Madam Speaker, I rise today to introduce legislation (H.R. 3649) that would require mercenary training be conducted only on property owned by the Federal Government.
* As you may know, Blackwater USA, a private military security contractor, already operates two private military-style training facilities: one in Moyock, North Carolina and the other in Mount Carroll, Illinois. Blackwater USA is also seeking to open a third facility in Potrero, California.
* It is outrageous to allow private individuals or corporations to establish private military bases anywhere in the United States! The military-style training conducted at these facilities has no place in our backyards.
* The Federal Government and U.S. military have also become too reliant on these private security contractors, especially in Iraq and Afghanistan. We must stop this trend!
* However, in the meantime, my bill will take the modest step of requiring government contractors, like Blackwater USA, to train only on property owned by the Federal Government, such as our military bases.