- Prohibits employers from knowingly hiring an undocumented immigrant. Provides penalties for employers who knowingly hire, recruit or refer an undocumented immigrant (Sec. 4).
- Requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of their employees by completing and retaining a federal employment eligibility (I-9 Form) verification for each employee [Sec. 2 (a)].
- Requires state employers to verify the employment eligibility of new hires using the federal government's E-Verify program beginning July 1, 2009 [Sec. 3 (a)].
- Designated the Kansas Department of Labor to use the E-Verify program to verify the employment eligibility of all new employees hired by any employer in the state as of July 1, 2011. An employer may decide to use the E-Verify program directly rather than having the Department of Labor act on their behalf [Sec. 3 (b)].
- Creates an employment verification training center within the Department of Labor to help employers understand and comply with federal and state employment laws (Sec. 5).