S 2271 - PATRIOT Act Reauthorization bill - Key Vote
National Key Votes
- March 9, 2006 Executive Signed
- March 7, 2006 House Bill Passed
- March 1, 2006 Senate Bill Passed
- Feb. 10, 2006 Introduced
- Civil Liberties and Civil Rights
- Technology and Communication
- Judicial Branch
- National Security
Legislation - Signed (Executive) - Became Public Law No. 109-178 - March 9, 2006
Legislation - Bill Passed (House) (280-138) - March 7, 2006(Key vote)
Title: PATRIOT Act Reauthorization bill
Vote to pass a bill that alters provisions in the Patriot Act dealing with petitioning Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) orders and the classification of libraries for FISA orders.
- Specifies that a recipient of a FISA production order can petition to a judge the order itself as well as the nondisclosure order (Sec. 3).
- Indicates that recipients of National Security letters do not have to provide the name of a lawyer to whom they have disclosed information to gain legal advice (Sec. 4).
- Excludes most libraries from being categorized as a "electronic service provider" for the purposes of requesting subscriber information (Sec. 5).
NOTE: THIS VOTE WAS TAKEN UNDER A SUSPENSION OF THE RULES TO CUT OFF DEBATE EARLY AND VOTE TO PASS THE BILL, THEREBY REQUIRING A TWO-THIRDS MAJORITY FOR PASSAGE.
Legislation - Bill Passed (Senate) (95-4) - March 1, 2006
Legislation - Introduced (Senate) - Feb. 10, 2006
Title: PATRIOT Act Reauthorization Bill
- John E. Sununu (NH - R) (Out Of Office)
- Larry E. Craig (ID - R) (Out Of Office)
- Charles T. 'Chuck' Hagel (NE - R) (Out Of Office)
- Lisa A. Murkowski (AK - R)