Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category

Public Statements

Rigell Votes 'No' on 'Farm Bill'

Location: Washington, DC

Congressman Scott Rigell (VA-2) released the following statement after the Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act (FARRM) - otherwise known as the 'Farm Bill' - failed in the House today:

"Today I voted against the misnamed 'Farm Bill.' I say it is misnamed because just 20 percent of the bill addresses agriculture; the remaining 80 percent addresses the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), otherwise known as food stamps. The fact that two very different programs, like farm subsidies and SNAP, are artificially linked to increase the chances of passage is a fundamental flaw of the bill. The two issues should be decoupled, allowing each to be debated, reformed, and voted on separately.

"Further, the bill fails to adequately reel in the existing system of federal subsidies that has resulted in the government picking winners and losers in the private sector.

"I believe the bill was deeply flawed. Now that it failed to pass, my hope is that leadership in the House and Senate will recognize that the best path is to decouple the two issues, reform both, and bring not one but two bills to the floor for debate and a vote."

Skip to top

Help us stay free for all your Fellow Americans

Just $5 from everyone reading this would do it.

Thank You!

You are about to be redirected to a secure checkout page.

Please note:

The total order amount will read $0.00 but know that a recurring donation of the amount and frequency that you selected will be processed and initiated tomorrow. You may see a charge of $0.00 on your statement.

Continue to secure page »

Back to top