Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category

Public Statements

Amanda's Law

Floor Speech

Location: Washington, DC

Mr. HIGGINS. Mr. Speaker, 3 years ago this Thursday, western New York teenager Amanda Hansen tragically passed away from carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of a defective boiler at a friend's home where she was spending the night.

In response to this tragedy, the New York State Legislature designated January as Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month and passed Amanda's Law. Amanda's Law requires carbon monoxide alarms to be installed in all new single and multifamily homes and any rentals with a fuel-burning appliance system or attached garage.

Mr. Speaker, carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in this country. There's a simple way to lower that number: installation of carbon monoxide detectors in homes and residences.

I commend the work of the Amanda Hansen Foundation and join them in encouraging all Americans to prevent carbon monoxide-related tragedies by installing detectors in their homes.

Skip to top

Help us stay free for all your Fellow Americans

Just $5 from everyone reading this would do it.

Back to top