Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category

Public Statements

Rep. Grimm Urges Residents to Apply for FEMA Aid

Press Release

Location: Staten Island, NY

Today, Congressman Michael G. Grimm (R,C-Staten Island/Brooklyn) urged residents to report damage and file claims with FEMA. The president issued the major disaster declaration for New York State the night Hurricane Sandy hit, making residents immediately eligible to apply for aid. Rep. Grimm urges residents to take multiple photos of the damage and first file a claim with their insurance company, then FEMA right away.

"It is welcoming news that New York received an immediate major disaster declaration, which means that residents can begin applying for FEMA aid," said Rep. Grimm. "In order to maximize the assistance provided by FEMA, I encourage residents to take pictures before cleaning up to effectively capture the extent of the damage, as well as save all receipts for supplies and equipment. I have been in the field for the last few days to assess the damage and help with relief, and while the devastation is some of the worst we've ever seen, I know that as a community we will get through this. I remain committed to helping residents recover from the storm damage and my staff is fully available to assist with any questions or problems that may arise throughout the application process."

Residents may apply for aid at or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY). Residents are encouraged to immediately photograph all damage and to save receipts for any supplies or equipment purchased.

Residents should first file a claim with their insurance companies. Next, they should immediately file with FEMA. Once a claim is filed, a FEMA inspector will be in touch within a few days to schedule a visit. Once an assessment is made, compensation will be mailed or direct deposited several days later to those who are eligible.

FEMA provides up to $31,900 in aid to individuals and households for a variety of needs; although, some forms of Individuals and Households Program (IHP) assistance have limits. Flood insurance may be required. These forms of help are available through FEMA: Housing Assistance (including Temporary Housing, Repair, Replacement, and Semi-Permanent or Permanent Housing Construction) and Other Needs Assistance (including personal property and other items).

For more information, please see the attached sheet from FEMA.

Skip to top

Help us stay free for all your Fellow Americans

Just $5 from everyone reading this would do it.

Thank You!

You are about to be redirected to a secure checkout page.

Please note:

The total order amount will read $0.01. This is a card processor fee. Please know that a recurring donation of the amount and frequency that you selected will be processed and initiated tomorrow. You may see a one-time charge of $0.01 on your statement.

Continue to secure page »

Back to top