Greater interaction between governments, companies and populations of the world has led to a distinct opportunity for the international community to work together and move in a positive direction. As a member of Congress, I fight for public and foreign policy that supports the development of democracy, human rights, and social and economic justice around the world.
As a member of the State and Foreign Operations Subcommittee of the Appropriations Committee, I am committed to maintaining funding for critical aide programs like the Global Health Initative which targets illnesses like HIV/AIDS and Malaria, child and maternal health, and family planning. I believe in international cooperation that helps countries to develop infrastructure that incorporates clean technology, build fledgling democracies, and promote civil liberty.
In addition to committee work, I have co-sponsored a variety of legislation aimed at reaching those policy goals, including:
* H.R. 440, continuing the Special Envoy to Promote Religious Freedom of Religious Minorities in the Near East and South Central Asia;
* H.R. 2639, the Global Democracy Promotion Act, which prevents foreign NGO's from becoming ineligible for U.S. assistance based upon legal family planning services they provide;
* H.R. 3056, the Ghandi-King Scholarly Exchange Initiative, which will create exchange programs focusing on peace and nonviolence in global conflict resolution;
* And H.R. 2792, the African Higher Education Advancement and Development Act, which expresses Congress's support for primary, secondary, and higher education in Sub-Saharan Africa and authorizes long term assistance to the region for that purpose.
Iraq And Afghanistan
I firmly believe in a secure and swift withdrawal from conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan. The people of these nations should be responsible for shaping their future on their own. To that end, I have co-sponsored legislation including:
* H.R. 651, the United States-Afghanistan Status of Forces Agreement, prohibits any permanent military base or presence in that country, and affirms that U.S. presence is at the request of the Afghani government;
* And H.R. 780, the Responsible End to the War in Afghanistan Act, which ensures that all funds made available for Armed Forces in Afghanistan are used only for withdrawal.