Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category

Public Statements

Issue Position: Educating Our Future

Issue Position

Location: Unknown

In a world where global economic competition is rapidly increasing, providing a top-level education for our children is more vital than ever. However, despite spending more money on education than any other nation in the world, America's public school system does not perform at the top of global education rankings. More federal funding and increased government intervention in education continues to be the recommended solution by our lawmakers, despite our inability to improve in the areas most needed to succeed in today's global economy: math and science.

I believe the solution to improving our education begins by removing the federal government regulation and bureaucratic standards held on our public schools, and returning control and funding authority to the state and local levels. Today, only 10% of the hundreds of billions of dollars spent on education come from the federal government, with the remaining 90% coming from state, local and private sources.

Restoring local control is only the first step in fixing our nation's public school system. I will be a lead advocate for legislation that empowers parents with more choices of where to educate their children, links teachers' and administrators' pay to the performance of their schools, and bring more transparency to our education funding system to ensure more of our money goes directly into the classrooms. Providing the best education possible for our children is critical to the future of our nation and I will never fail to make this a top priority when I return to Congress.

Skip to top

Help us stay free for all your Fellow Americans

Just $5 from everyone reading this would do it.

Back to top