On Thursday, May 31, 2012, Representative Scott DesJarlais (TN-04) voted in favor of H.R. 5854 -- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations Act. This legislation will fund military construction, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and related agencies for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2013.
"Our veterans gave their best in defense of our nation, now it is Congresses turn to do the same. I was proud to vote in favor of legislation that while fiscally sound, ensures our nation's 22 million veterans and their families receive the necessary support and the best care available," said Representative DesJarlais."
Key provisions of this legislation include:
1. $73 million for suicide-prevention programs
2. $12.6 billion for education and training of veterans and service members
3. $6 billion for homeless veterans' outreach
4. $1 billion for military medical facilities
5. $67 million for the Armed Forces Retirement Home Trust Fund