Today, Senator Deb Fischer, a Republican candidate for U.S. Senate, announced her plan to stop illegal immigration.
"Illegal immigration is a critical challenge in this country, and in our state. There are currently an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. and we have no way of knowing who they are and what they may have brought into our country," Senator Fischer said. "Illegal immigration is a threat to national security and the career politicians in Washington need to stop kicking the can down the road and enforce our laws."
"The federal government's failure to act has forced states like Nebraska to find solutions within their jurisdiction. In the Nebraska Unicameral, I've fought against the establishment's attempts to reward illegal immigration. I voted against the law that provides in-state tuition for illegal aliens and I supported a bill that would repeal that law. I also supported LB 239, a bill that will require citizens to show a photo ID when they vote, which will help prevent voter fraud by illegal aliens," Fischer said.
"The issue of illegal immigration is complicated and emotional, but tough decisions must be made. In the U.S. Senate, I will fight for the enforcement of our laws and oppose any attempt to reward illegal actions, just as I have done for the State of Nebraska. The federal government has a Constitutional obligation to stop illegal immigration and as a U.S. Senator, I will set legislative priorities to secure our border, stop illegal immigration," Fischer said.
Deb Fischer's Legislative Priorities for Stopping Illegal Immigration:
Secure the Borders:
- Provide necessary funding and resources to secure the Northern border and Southern border, as well as our ports.
- Increase the number of border patrol and enforcement agents.
Increase Workplace Enforcement:
- Implement a mandatory E-Verify system for employers.
- Enact stricter penalties for employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants.
Provide Support to State and Local Governments:
- Allow for the expedited removal of illegal aliens with a criminal record or suspected of drug trafficking.
- Increase funding and flexibility for state and local officials to enforce immigration laws.
Prohibit Rewards for Illegal Behavior:
- Oppose amnesty for illegal aliens.
- Deny benefits to illegal aliens such as in-state tuition benefits or driver's licenses.
Stop Sanctuary Cities:
- Cut funding to state and local governments that adopt "sanctuary city" policies.
Make English the Official Language of the United States.