Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category

Public Statements

Governor Tomblin Signs Law to Help Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Press Release

Location: Charleston, WV

Today Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin, joined by family members of Bill Moran, the Rhode Island man whose death was caused by carbon monoxide poisoning at a local hotel, signed Senate Bill 597 which requires certain public places to install carbon monoxide detectors.

"Joanne and I extend our heartfelt sympathies to Bill's family for their loss. I hope this legislation brings reassurance to them, knowing we are doing everything within our power to prevent another family from feeling such heartache," Gov. Tomblin said.

On January 31, 2012, Bill Moran died during his stay at a South Charleston hotel as a result of a carbon monoxide leak. His roommate and other guests at the hotel were hospitalized. Laurie Pendergast, Mr. Moran's sister, and her son joined the governor as he signed Senate Bill 597.

"I would like to express my gratitude and appreciation to Governor Tomblin and members of the house and senate," Laurie Pendergast said. "On behalf of our family thank you for helping ensure the citizens and visitors of West Virginia rest their heads at night safe from the harms of carbon monoxide. I miss my brother. And while I wish I could turn back the hands of time I know I cannot, but I do most sincerely thank you for making this right."

Effective Sept. 1, Senate Bill 597 requires carbon monoxide detectors to be installed in all hotels, motels, apartment buildings, boarding houses, dormitories, long-term care facilities, adult or child care facilities, assisted living facilities, along with one- and two-family dwellings intended to be rented or leased.

Skip to top

Help us stay free for all your Fellow Americans

Just $5 from everyone reading this would do it.

Back to top