Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category

Public Statements

Governor Bentley Requests Public Assistance for Three Counties Impacted by January Storms

Press Release

Location: Montgomery, AL

Governor Robert Bentley on Wednesday announced the state is formally requesting the Federal Emergency Management Agency to authorize the Public Assistance Grant Program to aid jurisdictions in Jefferson, Chilton, and Perry Counties as they recover from the effects of severe weather that occurred on the week of January 22nd.

The request follows recently-concluded damage assessments performed by local, state and federal personnel. Assessments have shown that governments at all levels have collectively incurred millions of dollars in combined costs for expenses such as debris removal and damage to infrastructure. The public assistance program would provide reimbursement of a percentage of approved costs associated with storm cleanup.

"Recovering from these storms is a long-term process," Governor Bentley said. "I am hopeful the federal government will take into consideration the financial needs of the individual municipalities and other local governments that have worked diligently to repair damage and clear debris in the wake of the storms."

The request for assistance for local governments follows Governor Bentley's request for assistance for individual people affected by the storms. This week, Governor Bentley was informed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency that Perry County has now been approved for receiving individual assistance. Jefferson and Chilton Counties were previously approved.

Storm survivors seeking individual assistance for losses to personal property can apply by calling FEMA's toll-free registration number, 800-621-FEMA (3362). The hearing or speech impaired can use the TTY line at 800-462-7585. Registration lines are available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., local time. An application may also be completed online at

Skip to top

Help us stay free for all your Fellow Americans

Just $5 from everyone reading this would do it.

Back to top