Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category

Public Statements

Blog: Discussing Federal Disaster Assistance with My Flooding Advisory Council


Location: Unknown

Today, I met with my Flooding Advisory Council at the Emergency Operations Center in Fairfield to discuss the damage inflicted on our district by Tropical Storm Irene. This was the only meeting in the district providing information on all federal post-disaster assistance available to local municipalities, non-profits, residents, and businesses. The Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA), Small Business Administration (SBA), and Department of Transportation (DoT) are all offering financial assistance in the wake of Tropical Storm Irene. At this meeting, my office -- along with representatives from FEMA, SBA, and DOT -- was able to provide information to local officials, business owners, and residents on how they can apply for federal aid as our district continues to recover from Irene.

If you were not able to attend this meeting, there are many resources online where you can find information on how to apply for federal disaster assistance. FEMA, for example, is offering Individual Assistance for residents whose property was damaged by the storm. Types of assistance include temporary housing, home repair or replacement, housing construction, and living expenses. Click here to learn more about how to apply for Individual Assistance, and click here to apply.

The Small Business Administration is offering disaster recovery loans. Homeowners and renters may take out loans with the SBA, following registration with FEMA, to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate and personal property. Businesses and private non-profit organizations may borrow money to repair or replace disaster damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, and other business assets. Businesses and private non-profit organizations do not need to register with FEMA; they may apply directly to the SBA. Small businesses can also apply for Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDLs), which assist in meeting financial obligations that cannot be met because of the storm. Click here to learn more about how to apply for a SBA loan.

Additionally, the SBA and FEMA have opened nine Disaster Recovery Centers throughout Connecticut - including one in Greenwich at the Western Greenwich Civic Center, located at 449 Pemberwick Road. At these centers, residents can receive guidance on the application process, answers to questions they may have regarding applying for loans, or find the status of an application they have already submitted. These centers are open Monday through Saturday from 9AM to 7PM and Sunday from 10AM to 3PM.

If you have any questions about disaster recovery or how to apply for federal assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office at (866) 453-0028.

Skip to top

Help us stay free for all your Fellow Americans

Just $5 from everyone reading this would do it.

Back to top