Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category

Public Statements

Individuals Impacted by Tropical Storm Irene Can Apply for Federal Assistance

Press Release

Location: Concord, NH

Governor John Lynch today announced the Federal Emergency management Agency has begun accepting applications from individuals in Carroll and Grafton counties whose homes and property suffered damage as a result of Tropical Storm Irene.

On Wednesday, President Obama granted Governor John Lynch's request for assistance for individuals.

Residents of Carroll and Grafton counties can apply for assistance through FEMA by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Or, they can register online at

"A number of homeowners in New Hampshire suffered significant damage as a result of Tropical Storm Irene and in some areas the damage caused by flooding was among the worst I have witnessed as Governor," Governor Lynch said. "Federal assistance will not make up for the entire loss, but it will certainly help, which is why I urge homeowners who suffered damage in those two counties to register with FEMA."

After a homeowner registers, a FEMA inspector will schedule an inspection at the home. Once the inspection is complete, the homeowner will receive notification of what assistance they will be eligible for. FEMA will also soon be opening disaster recovery centers in Conway, and will hold office hours in several locations in Grafton county on a rotating basis, to assist people with questions.

FEMA assistance may include money for rent if a homeowner is displaced as a result of the damage, costs for home repair and replacement costs of essential items.

Homeowners should collect and retain estimates from contractors, bills for actual expenditures, photographs - any records that may be used to establish the amount of losses. Even if a homeowner has already reported damage to 2-1-1 they must file a claim with FEMA. Reporting damage to 2-1-1 only assisted the state in collecting data and did not qualify anyone for assistance.

Businesses that suffered damages may also qualify for low interest loans through the federal Small Business Administration by calling the same telephone number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or online through the SBA's website at

Skip to top

Help us stay free for all your Fellow Americans

Just $5 from everyone reading this would do it.

Back to top