The revolutionary idea contained in the Declaration of Independence is that certain fundamental human rights, including the right to life, are gifts from God and cannot be given nor taken away by government. Yet, secular radicals are trying to remove "our Creator" -- the source of our rights - from public life. Newt has an aggressive strategy to defend life and religious liberty in America.
Principles to protect life and religious liberty
1. Nominate conservative judges who are committed to upholding Constitutional limited government and understand that the role of the judges is to interpret the law, not legislate from the bench.
2. Combat judicial activism by utilizing checks on judicial power Constitutionally available to the elected branches of government.
3. End taxpayer subsidies for abortion by repealing Obamacare, defunding Planned Parenthood, and reinstating the "Mexico City Policy" which banned funding to organizations that promote and/or perform abortions overseas.
4. Protect religious expression in the public square such as crosses, crèches and menorahs.
5. Protect healthcare workers right to conscience by making sure they are not forced to participate in or refer procedures such as abortion.
6. Protect the rights of home-schooled children by ensuring they have the same access to taxpayer funded, extra-curricular educational opportunities as any public school student.
7. Protect the rights of teachers to use historical examples involving religion in their classroom. Nor should they be discouraged from answering questions about religion or discussing it objectively in the classroom.
8. Protect the frail, infirm and the elderly from the state's arbitrary decision to terminate life.