National security is more than fighting in wars, it is about protecting American citizens. Our nation faces an era of perpetual conflict where the United States is threatened by state and non-state actors.
We must be prepared for the wars of the future, as well as remain focused on successfully concluding the current conflicts. We do not know how or when terrorist plan to attack our freedom and liberty next, and it is imperative that we be prepared on all levels.The "Pledge to America' is the first step to keep America safe and to continue to defend our freedom. To do this we must:
* Pass Clean Troop Funding Bills: In the midst of two wars, our nation is facing a soaring national debt that places a tremendous pressure on the defense budget. We must however ensure that our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines have all of the essential resources in order to protect themselves. Bills that fund our soldiers must not include unrelated policy.
* Keep Terrorists Out Of America: Protecting America means preventing terrorism on American soil. The Obama administration is still pushing forward with closing Guantanamo Bay and releasing or transferring current detainees. If this happens the Obama administration must be held accountable for any detainees released that return to fight against our troops or become involved in any terrorist activities.
* Require Tough Enforcement of Sanctions Against Iran: The Iranian regime continues to harbor terrorists and has actively led efforts to harm our troops that are deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan. We are ready aggressively execute sanctions.
* Strengthen Visa Security: The Department of Homeland Security must take a more active role in high-risk consular posts and following alien movement after visa revocations.
* Demand an Overarching Detention Policy: Foreign terrorists do not have the same rights as American citizens. When foreign terrorists attack our country they need to be tried in military court, not civilian. We are ready to work to ensure that all foreign terrorists are held accountable and do not receive Constitutional protection.
* Fully Fund Missile Defense: Our current missile defense policy is not projected to cover American soil until 2020.Threats from countries like North Korea and Iran must not be tolerated and the crucial funding that is needed to protect American soil must be restored.
* Work with State and Local Officials to Enforce Our Immigration Laws and Establish Operational Control of the Border: Illegal immigration is a very serious problem and there is no quick fix to defuse the current crisis. State and local law enforcement need to receive the tools and authority they need in order to enforce all federal immigration laws.
'The Pledge' is our promise to you and it can be implemented immediately. Congress should reconvene and allow for an up-or-down vote on each of these initiatives. To read more about 'The Pledge', click here.
Please also take a moment to share your thoughts with me on our plan to create jobs, end economic uncertainty, and make America more competitive. I encourage you to leave a comment on my blog with your thoughts.