* Supported the GIVE Act, landmark public service legislation o triple AmeriCorps volunteers and create new Veterans, Education, Environment, and Disaster volunteer corps programs as well as opportunities for middle and high school students to become involved in service.
* Supported President Obama's American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which provides California with:
o $1.2 billion in additional Title I funding for the education of low-income children, including an estimated $398 million for Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD)
o $1.2 billion in additional funding for the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), including an estimated $168 million for LAUSD
o An increase in funding for California's estimated 774,000 college students receiving Pell Grants
o $6 billion for a state fiscal stabilization fund to keep kids' teachers in classrooms and pay for school infrastructure improvement projects.
* Signed a letter to Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger clarifying that Recovery education funding must be used to prevent teacher layoffs and improve education reform efforts, not to fill state budget gaps in other areas.
* Supported the Higher Education Opportunity Act:
* Increases Pell grants
* Simplifies the Free Application for Federal Student Aid for low-income students
* Requires colleges to disclose and rein in price increases
* Improves transparency and accountability in college loans
* Increases funding for college students to join teaching or other public service careers.
* Cosponsored the Keep our PACT Act, legislation that would require Congress to fulfill its commitment to education by fully funding both Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (No Child Left Behind) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).