As Chairman of the Health Subcommittee and Co-Chair of the Joint Committee on Health Care Delivery and Financing, Senator Garagiola is a leader on health care reform efforts, to improve access, affordability, and quality.
In these positions, Senator Garagiola helped shepherd legislation through the Senate to:
* Expand healthcare coverage for low-income individuals.
* Establish a Small Employer Health Benefit Plan Premium Subsidy Program to assist small employers not currently offering health insurance to their employees.
* Provide prescription drug assistance for low-income elderly.
* Mandate better outreach to families with children eligible for health coverage in the Maryland Children's Health Insurance Program.
* Reform the small group market to reduce premium costs for healthier and younger employees to obtain insurance and allow more innovation for insurance products.
Senator Garagiola also sponsored the Clean Indoor Air Act, which many public health advocates hailed as one of the strongest of such laws in the country and one that will save lives and healthcare dollars.
For more information about the Small Employer Health Benefit Plan Premium Subsidy Program please visit the Health Insurance Partnership website.