Dr. Robert Bentley, Republican candidate for Governor, today released the second in a series of television commercials in which he outlines his position on the issues facing Alabama. The latest commercial provides details of Dr. Bentley's position on illegal immigration. "The federal government has failed to stop the flow of illegal aliens into this country. As Governor, I will protect Alabama's jobs and wages from the negative effects of illegal immigration. "
The commercial debuts on the heels of last week's report released by the Pew Hispanic Center which shows the number of illegal immigrants in Alabama has increased nearly 500 percent in the last ten years. According to the report, while the number of illegal immigrants in the nation has decreased, the number actually increased in Alabama. According to the center, an estimated 130,000 illegal aliens are in Alabama, up from 100,000 in 2008. The Pew Hispanic Center is a national nonpartisan research organization.
"We are a nation of immigrants and we welcome any legal immigrants or legal temporary workers who come into our country," Bentley said. "However, illegal aliens put a strain on our economy and take away jobs. In Alabama where we have an unemployment rate of 9.7 percent, those jobs need to be filled by legal and law-abiding citizens. Every time an illegal alien is hired in the state, that's one less job for an Alabamian"
"I have a specific plan on dealing with the issue of illegal immigration:
* I will seek a legislative end to sanctuary cities in Alabama.
* I will assist business, industry, and agriculture interests to obtain legal workers by supporting the use of E-Verify among all private employers in Alabama.
* I will require all governmental agencies to participate in E-Verify.
* I will require state contractors to participate in E- Verify in order to qualify for state contracts.
* I will fine businesses that knowingly employ illegal aliens.
* I will deny illegal aliens public benefits such as Medicare, Medicaid, and unemployment insurance, public or assisted housing benefits, food assistance, and commercial licenses.
* And I will train law enforcement officials on immigration laws and ensure state officials turn over all illegal aliens arrested in Alabama to the federal government."
For more information about Bentley's position on Illegal Immigration and to view the commercial, visit www.robertbentley2010.com.