A high-quality public education system is key to Georgia's economic security. It is also the best investment we can make in the long term vitality of our communities. I am committed to fighting for innovation in our classrooms and creative solutions for our funding problems.
In order to accomplish these goals, I will listen carefully to all my constituents, as well as educators in my district, to hear what they feel is needed to create and maintain excellent schools, not only in the 82nd district, but across the state. Some of the most pressing issues:
- restoring state funding to eliminate teacher furloughs and return class size to previous levels
- recruiting and retaining outstanding teachers, and providing those teachers with the support they need to be effective
- re-instating compensation for National Board Certified Teachers
- allowing parents to have a strong voice in crucial aspects of their children's education
- facilitating effectiveness on the part of the DeKalb County Board of Education
Currently under consideration are two bills that would reduce the size of the Board from 9 to either 7 or 5 members, with the goal of streamlining governance of the school system. I support reducing the size of the Board.