As I talk to families throughout the district, it's clear that our economic struggles remain a major concern for most. We need solutions that will have an immediate impact on our ability to attract new business and generate jobs, while also investing in the future health of our economy.
* As one of Georgia's best-educated and strategically-located business centers, our district will play a vital role in our recovery and in the future of Georgia's economy. Our research, education and innovation resources ensure that we are well positioned to lead the way in Georgia.
* Smart tax policies and other incentives will help ensure that our community is a good place to do business. They will also help attract businesses that are searching for a new home, and will reassure workers and employers that we are committed to expanding and creating new jobs.
* Investments in education, transportation and sustainability will pay off by generating more revenue and reducing strains on our already strapped budget. We gain a more dynamic and properly-trained workforce, attract new businesses and build the infrastructure that enables our economy and our state to grow and thrive.
* Our community is ripe for expansion in two of the nation's most promising industries: bioresearch and green energy. We have the potential to become a "Silicon Valley of the South" -- but only if we demonstrate a commitment to reaching that goal.
* This area is now home to a number of green energy and bioresearch companies, which create jobs in research, manufacturing, sales, engineering, and human resources, among others. Our policymakers must support an environment that supplies capable workers, coordinates with our educational institutions, and provides incentives to attract foreign businesses and encourage the expansion of existing businesses.
If we use the levers of government to create a positive environment for business, support innovation, and invest in the long-term health of our economy, District 42 and its residents will lead Georgia's economic recovery.