The border must be contained and controlled before reform can be achieved. Securing the border must be the first priority of Congress if we are going to solve illegal immigration. My plan for improved border security includes:
· Holding the Federal Government accountable for completing the border fence
· Hiring more border patrol agents
· Increasing incentives to recruit and maintain a significant border presence dramatically increase the number of Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers to increase security within our borders.
· Enhance Federal, State, and local assistance in the enforcement of immigration laws. The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office is a forerunner in applying this philosophy of enforcing all laws. By voluntarily seeking Federal training in the enforcement of illegal immigration laws, the MCSO has become a model for other local law enforcement agencies. Sheriff Joe Arpaio and I agree on this strategy.
· Prevent sanctuary cities from receiving federal funds, and improve the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program.
· Strict punishment of those who aid illegal immigrants in crossing the border, as well as those who assist in their residence in the United States.
· Required use of the E-verify program for all businesses in the United States
· Finally, we must continue to crack down on those employers who ignore the law and continue to hire illegal employees.
Amnesty is not the solution to the illegal immigration problem. It rewards illegal behavior and passes off the cost to the American people who are already facing tough economic times.