Congressman Phil Hare (D-IL) today released the following statement after the House passed a final version of health care reform.
"I voted for health care reform for one simple reason: it is the right thing to do. It is right for families who will now see their premiums go down. It is right for Americans with preexisting conditions that will now have access to coverage. It is right for our seniors who will now have all of their prescriptions covered under Medicare Part D. It is right for those who have lost their access to health care just because they lost their jobs. It is right for our economy and budget because it will trim $1.3 trillion off of the deficit in 20 years. Most of all, it is right because in the richest country in the world, no one should ever go bankrupt just because they get sick."
According to an analysis by the House Energy and Commerce Committee, this bill would impact the 17th District of Illinois in the following way:
* Improve coverage for 364,000 residents with health insurance.
* Give tax credits and other assistance to up to 184,000 families and 13,300 small businesses to help them afford coverage.
* Improve Medicare for 119,000 beneficiaries, including closing the donut hole.
* Extend coverage to 33,000 uninsured residents.
* Guarantee that 8,700 residents with pre-existing conditions can obtain coverage.
* Protect 1,100 families from bankruptcy due to unaffordable health care costs.
* Allow 55,000 young adults to obtain coverage on their parents' insurance plans.
* Provide millions of dollars in new funding for 19 community health centers.
* Reduce the cost of uncompensated care for hospitals and other health care providers by $67 million annually.