"Over twenty million Texans and people across the globe depend on Texas agricultural producers to provide a safe and reliable food and fiber supply. As Commissioner of Agriculture, my priorities are to ensure urban, suburban and rural Texans benefit from sound policies protecting property owners' rights, promoting clean water and air, balanced nutritional programs, and a solid business environment to process and deliver goods. I am fighting to represent the interests of farmers and ranchers, consumers and processors of the State of Texas."
Commissioner Todd Staples
As your Commissioner of Agriculture, my 2010 goals include:
* Making Texas the nation's leader in agriculture.
* Enhancing value-added processing to create more jobs and a robust Texas economy.
* Protecting Texas families by advocating sound anti-terrorism and inspection policies in conjunction with federal officials to ensure a safe and reliable food and water supply, and to secure our borders.
* Promoting a common sense regulatory environment.
* Serving as an advocate for Texas producers and processors to establish bigger markets and fair trade, calling attention to the economic impact of ranching and farming across Texas.
* Highlighting the need for healthy, sustainable and nutritious dietary programs in our schools and homes.
* Developing and encouraging initiatives that result in a prosperous Texas: Rural, Suburban and Urban Texas understanding we must have win-win policies because if one part of Texas suffers, we all suffer.
* Supporting balanced solutions to the water needs, environmental challenges, business impediments and transportation hurdles associated with the production and delivery of Texas products.
* Seeking and promoting policies to encourage alternative, clean burning fuel sources to help address high fuel costs and environmental concerns.
* Reinforcing the benefits of accountable education initiatives in our public schools, and supporting higher education and academic institutions who assist in making Texas agriculture more proficient and competitive.
* Promoting advanced technology initiatives that provide more efficient production and processing, and a cleaner and safer environment.
* Supporting leadership training, skills development and character building programs, like 4-H and FFA, to help develop the next generation of Texas leaders. These time-honored programs promote values such as respect, truthfulness and a good work ethic essential to the future of our society.
* Fiercely fighting for the rights of private property owners against unfair abuses of governmental powers.
* Fostering the pioneering spirit and strength of individualism that has made Texas the great state it is today.
* Working with all affected parties to find compromises and solutions to the challenges facing our state, without compromising the families and taxpayers who make Texas strong.