Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category

Public Statements

Rep. Calvert Calls on Secretary Salazar to Utilize Offshore Resources

Press Release

Location: Washington, DC


Protecting Environment and Offshore Energy Production, Not Mutually Exclusive

Today Rep. Calvert (R-CA) submitted testimony for tomorrow's public hearing in San Francisco. The public hearing is one of many being conducted by Secretary of the Interior, Ken Salazar to discuss the future of offshore energy development on the nation's Outer Continental Shelf (OCS). Due to scheduling conflicts Rep. Calvert will not be able to attend. In part his testimony states:

"Offshore energy production is just part of an all-of-the-above energy solution that we need to support in order to increase the production of American-made energy. In addition to the production of traditional energy sources, we must find ways to encourage the production of renewable energy on federal lands on and offshore.

"I am confident that we can enact real solutions to our country's energy challenges by taking a comprehensive and balanced approach that utilizes America's natural resources as well as our innovative technologies."

Full text of Rep. Calvert's testimony is attached.

Rep. Calvert has introduced legislation called the MORE Act, H.R. 797, in which states would receive 75% of the royalties for oil and natural gas production beyond 25 miles of the coastline and the U.S. Treasury would receive the remaining 25%. If states elect to allow exploration and production within 25 miles of their coastline, then their share of the royalties would increase to 90%. At 25 miles from the coast, no evidence of energy exploration is visible from the coast under any condition.

The MORE Act will provide:

* MORE offshore domestic energy production;
* MORE royalty revenue for producing states and the U.S. Treasury;
* MORE energy security for America; and
* MORE relief at the gas pump.

The MORE Act will increase oil and natural gas supplies by removing existing restrictions on offshore energy exploration and production in the OCS. The bill establishes a state's choice on exploration and production for areas within 25 miles of the coastline.

Skip to top

Help us stay free for all your Fellow Americans

Just $5 from everyone reading this would do it.

Back to top