EXPRESSING THE CONDOLENCES OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ON THE DEATH OF THE HONORABLE STEPHANIE TUBBS JONES, A REPRESENTATIVE OF THE STATE OF OHIO -- (Extensions of Remarks - September 09, 2008)
HON. JOE BACA
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2008
* Mr. BACA. Mr. Speaker, I rise today to offer my sincere condolences for the passing of the Honorable STEPHANIE TUBBS JONES.
* Not only was she a true hero and noble leader in the United States Congress, a trailblazer for all minorities, but she was also a friend who will be dearly missed.
* Representative STEPHANIE TUBBS JONES' passing is a tragic loss for this Congress and our Nation. Her leadership on the ethics committee and on voting rights will never be forgotten. On behalf of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, we send our prayers and condolences to her family, friends and staff.
* As Chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, I worked with Representative JONES together on a variety of projects, including our fundraising efforts for Gallaudet University here in Washington, as well as other endeavors which promoted advocacy for low-income and minority communities.
* Having been blessed with the opportunity to get to know her outside the walls of Congress as a team member of the Democratic Congressional Basketball Team, I was impressed by her continually cheerful disposition and lively energy. Due to this vigor, she was always able to spread joy to others and add a positive light no matter the situation.
* Stephanie's death will be felt by all, not just within Cleveland community, but also throughout the Nation because of the ideals she stood for. I offer the thoughts and prayers of my wife Barbara and myself to Congresswoman STEPHANIE TUBBS JONES' son Mervyn and for her family for their loss.