The Congressman has supported the following legislation to help give local law enforcement the resources necessary to protect us and take drugs off our streets and out of our schools:
* Byrne-JAG Funding Restoration Act, H.R. 5180, Congressman Loebsack authored this legislation to provide emergency supplemental appropriations to immediately restore FY 2008 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (Byrne-JAG) funding to $660 million, up from the $170 million included in the consolidated appropriations bill signed into law at the end of 2007. The critical funding distributed through Byrne-JAG allows local drug task forces to locate and close meth labs, take drug dealers off the streets and help prosecute these criminals. Restoring these funds is critical for the safety of Iowa's communities, families and children. This legislation has 115 bipartisan cosponsors.
* NICS Improvement Act, H.R. 2640, improves the accuracy of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) by giving grants to states for automating and sharing with NICS the records of those barred from purchasing a firearm under the 1968 Gun Control Act.
* COPS Improvement Act, H.R. 1700, places 50,000 additional police officers on the streets over the next six years, and authorize funds for equipment grants, and for hiring community prosecutors.
* Drug-Endangered Children Act, H.R. 1199, extends the authorization of the drug endangered Children Program, which is designed to help children who are in dangerous, drug-infested environments to transition into safe residences.
* Methamphetamine Remediation Research Act of 2007, H.R. 365, provides critical new funding to help law enforcement locate and shut down meth labs, and support essential research to determine the best way to clean up old labs, and eliminate the chemicals that can harm our environment and lead to significant health problems. The bill also insists on new guidelines to guide law enforcement officials and help ensure every community has the knowledge and tools they need to effectively cleanup meth labs.