Congressman Kline helps introduce American Energy Act
Bill increases supply of American-made energy, lowers gas prices, and promotes energy independence
Congressman John Kline joined House colleagues today on the Capitol steps to introduce the "American Energy Act," comprehensive energy legislation that addresses the soaring price of gasoline by increasing the supply of American-made energy in environmentally sound ways, improving energy conservation and efficiency, and promoting renewable and alternative energy technologies.
"This is the substantive energy policy that America needs to reduce our dependence on foreign oil," said Congressman Kline. "We need meaningful solutions and this legislation increases the supply of American-made energy, lowers gas prices, and promotes energy independence."
To increase the supply of American-made energy in environmentally sound ways, the legislation:
* Opens our deep water ocean resources, which will provide an additional three million barrels of oil per day, as well as 76 trillion cubic feet of natural gas.
* Opens the Arctic coastal plain, which will provide an additional one million barrels of oil per day.
* Allows development of our nation's shale oil resources, which could provide an additional 2.5 million barrels of oil per day.
* Increases the supply of gas at the pump by cutting bureaucratic red tape that essentially blocks construction of new refineries.
To improve energy conservation and efficiency, the legislation:
* Provides tax incentives for businesses and families that purchase more fuel efficient vehicles.
* Provides a monetary prize for developing the first economically feasible, super-fuel-efficient vehicle reaching 100 miles-per-gallon.
* Provides tax incentives for businesses and homeowners who improve their energy efficiency.
To promote renewable and alternative energy technologies, the legislation:
* Spurs the development of alternative fuels through government contracting by repealing the "Section 526" prohibition on government purchasing of alternative energy and promoting coal-to-liquids technology.
* Establishes a renewable energy trust fund using revenues generated by exploration in the deep ocean and on the Arctic coastal plain.
* Permanently extends tax credits for alternative energy production, including wind, solar and hydrogen.
* Eliminates barriers to the expansion of emission-free nuclear power production.
In his third term in Congress, Congressman Kline is a member of the House Ethics Committee, the Education and Labor Committee, and the Armed Services Committee.