* Supported President Obama's American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, providing:
* New infrastructure projects, including public transit and other efforts to reduce traffic and pollution
* Energy efficiency investments including renewable energy and weatherization
* Maintaining services of state teachers, police officers, and health care workers.
* Cosponsored the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, a law to combat wage discrimination on the basis of sex, race, or age.
* Working to strengthen intellectual property laws and protect jobs in the entertainment and hi-tech industries so important to the Southern California economy.
* Cosponsored the Performance Rights Act, to ensure musicians fair compensation for radio broadcasts of their work.
* Continued the fight against international copyright piracy.
* Was a key negotiator in securing passage of the landmark Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), which protects copy and access protection technologies against circumvention and creates a more secure environment for copyrighted works on the Internet.
* Led the fight in Congress for disaster relief funds after the Northridge earthquake.
* Helped Valley defense firms get tens of millions of dollars to continue vital programs and help preserve high quality jobs.
* Wrote legislation that led to the creation of Calstart, a public-private consortium dedicated to the development of advanced transportation technologies.