State Representative Bob Latta (R-Bowling Green) today announced his candidacy for the Fifth District seat in the U. S. House of Representatives. Rep. Latta opened his remarks by praising the service of Congressman Paul Gillmor.
"Our prayers are with Karen and the entire Gillmor family. Our gratitude is for a noble public servant who worked tirelessly for our families and represented us with distinction in Congress," said Representative Bob Latta.
A special election will be held to elect a new member of Congress in Ohio's Fifth Congressional District seat.
In making his decision to seek the 5th Congressional District seat, Representative Bob Latta said, "After thoughtful prayer, encouraging calls from friends and a discussion with my family, I have decided to run for Congress."
"I am running for Congress to serve. My life has been devoted to serving my family, community and state. Now I want to serve my country by working for good jobs, safer streets, better schools, lower taxes and a secure America."
"Here's where I stand on the major issues:
* "Government is too big, spends too much and taxes us too often. I'll support tax relief so families keep more of what they earn."
* "Healing health care means a better quality of life. I'll work to provide affordable and accessible health care in a market-driven system so you keep the right to choose your own doctor."
* "A quality education means our sons and daughters get their fair shot at the American Dream. I'll work to target funding directly to the classroom; preserve local control; and fight to increase accountability so our children learn in classrooms of excellence."
* "Terrorists are plotting to harm America. I'll fight to give our troops the equipment they need to protect our homeland and fund our national security programs so we prevent another September 11th."
* "Our borders are broken. I'll fight to secure our borders and stop illegal immigration because we should not reward those whose first act is to violate our sovereignty and break our laws."
* "Small business is burdened by red-tape regulation and frivolous litigation. I'll work to cut the red tape and stop jackpot justice lawsuits that put business out of business."
* "Our unique American history, heritage and culture are worth defending. I'll defend our traditional values by standing up for the right to life of the unborn, defending traditional marriage, working to preserve our 2nd Amendment rights, and protecting the religious freedoms upon which our nation was founded."
"I have had the great honor of serving citizens here in northwest Ohio in the Ohio General Assembly. I want to continue to work for the citizens of this region and make this the best place in Ohio to live, work and raise a family." Latta added. "I was taught that to be a good public servant, you must see how much you can give of yourself to the people you represent."
An award-winning leader, Bob Latta has been named "Legislator of the Year" by the Ohio Farmer's Union, "Watchdog of the Treasury" (three times), was honored by the Ohio National Guard with the Major General Charles Dix Award for Legislative Excellence and received the "Patriot Award" from the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance.
A life-long resident of northwest Ohio, Latta graduated from Bowling Green Senior High School, Bowling Green State University, and the University of Toledo College of Law.
Representative Bob Latta is a four term member of the Ohio House of Representatives. He previously served in the Ohio Senate (1997 to 2000) and was Wood County Commissioner (1991 - 1996).
Bob and his wife, the former Marcia Sloan of Williams County, have been married for 21 years. They reside in Bowling Green with their daughters Elizabeth, a sophomore at BGHS, and Maria, an eighth grader at BGJH.