When it comes to meeting the needs of commuters and the traveling public and promoting greater economic strength, Rep. Frelinghuysen continues to work to secure critical Federal dollars to reduce traffic congestion, improve air quality, and create more jobs in northern New Jersey - the most densely populated area of our nation.
Frelinghuysen's key mass transportation initiatives include support for:
* Midtown Direct Service - direct service on the Morris & Essex and Montclair-Boonton transit lines to and from Penn Station, New York
* Lackawanna "Cutoff"-Northwest NJ-Northeast PA Passenger Rail Project - an ongoing effort to relieve congestion for commuters traveling to and from eastern Pennsylvania and northwestern New Jersey by re-instituting passenger rail service between Scranton and Hoboken.
* Creation of a new trans-Hudson Tunnel
* Hudson-Bergen Light Rail - a seven-station light rail project that will serve Hoboken, Weehawken, Union City and West New York.
* Newark-Elizabeth Rail Link - an 8.8 mile light rail system that connects the Newark City Subway with downtown Newark and Elizabeth as well as provide a connection for Morris/Essex and Boonton NJ Transit line commuters.
* Amtrak - protecting and preserving nationwide service, especially along the Northeast Corridor
In addition to promoting more mass transit opportunities, Frelinghuysen is fighting to reducing road congestion by supporting:
* Howard Boulevard Park and Ride - a highway intercept, regional Park & Ride, and future NJ Transit station to alleviate congestion at a critical intersection of Routes 80 and 15.
* Route 22 Sustainable Corridor Plan - a long-term vision for the 8-mile stretch of Route 22 in Somerset County to improve traffic safety and manage congestion.
* New Jersey Job Access Reverse Commute (JARC) - used to transport the general public from urban, suburban, and rural areas to suburban employment opportunities.
Reducing Air Noise
* Aircraft noise - expediting the New Jersey/New York Metropolitan Airspace Redesign process to reduce congestion at our nation's busiest airports, maintain passenger safety and alleviate the burden of aircraft noise for residents in northern New Jersey.