SUPPORTING TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK AND NATIONAL TEACHER DAY -- (Extensions of Remarks - May 11, 2007)
* Mr. RUSH. Madam Speaker, I rise today to express my full support for National Teacher Day and Teacher Appreciation Week. There is no calling more noble than the profession of educator, as teachers play a vital role in shaping the future of our country and they have a deep impact on every member of our great society.
* Like many of my colleagues here in Congress, I can recall wonderful teachers who helped change my life for the better and who have influenced me in profound ways, which they may never fully understand.
* Madam Speaker, on a daily basis teachers are tasked with educating all of our children, in some cases spending more hours with students than they spend with their parents. Besides teaching students reading and math, educators help students learn the value of responsibility, social skills, discipline, and respect for themselves and others.
* Teachers have the solemn responsibility of shaping the minds of our youth and preparing them intellectually, socially, emotionally, and psychologically to become productive and responsible members of our society.
* In a time when so much is asked of our teachers, when they are required to play the role of educator, parent, counselor, and friend, it is imperative that we provide them with the tools needed to accomplish their important jobs.
* I will continue to support legislation to fully fund educational initiatives such as Head Start, Pell Grants, and the No Child Left Behind Act, to name a few, and I urge all of my colleagues to do the same.
* We cannot continue to emphasize accountability and high-stakes testing for our teachers, who are on the frontlines working with students, without providing them with the resources to fully and effectively accomplish their objectives.
* Despite the negative press that the teaching profession regularly endures, in the face of funding cuts and intense scrutiny, I know that every one of my colleagues realizes that the vast majority of our teachers are doing yeomen's work with the resources they are given.
* So I would like to commend America's teachers and express my full support for National Teacher Day and Teacher Appreciation Week. As a Member of Congress, I will continue to do all that I can to support your efforts and provide you with the resources you need.