1. Ammunition depots; forts; arsenals; and Army, Navy, and Air Force reservations and establishments.
2. Common defense generally.
3. Conservation, development, and use of naval petroleum and oil shale reserves.
4. The Department of Defense generally, including the Departments of the Army, Navy, and Air Force, generally.
5. Interoceanic canals generally, including measures relating to the maintenance, operation, and administration of interoceanic canals.
6. Merchant Marine Academy and State Maritime Academies.
7. Military applications of nuclear energy.
8. Tactical intelligence and intelligence-related activities of the Department of Defense.
9. National security aspects of merchant marine, including financial assistance for the construction and operation of vessels, maintenance of the U.S. shipbuilding and ship repair industrial base, cabotage, cargo preference, and merchant marine officers and seamen as these matters relate to the national security.
10. Pay, promotion, retirement, and other benefits and privileges of members of the armed forces.
11. Scientific research and development in support of the armed services.
12. Selective service.
13. Size and composition of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force.
14. Soldiers' and sailors' homes.
15. Strategic and critical materials necessary for the common defense.