* Amends Mental Health Services Act (Proposition 63 of 2004) to transfer funds, for a two-year period, from mental health programs under that act to pay for mental health services for children and young adults provided through the Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnosis, and Treatment Program.
* Provides more than $225 million in flexible funding for mental health programs.
* Helps balance state budget during this difficult economic time.
Summary of Legislative Analyst's Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:
* State General Fund savings of about $230 million annually for two years (2009-10 and 2010-11) from redirecting a portion of Proposition 63 funds to an existing state program in place of state General Fund support.
* Corresponding reduction in funding available for Proposition 63 community mental health programs.