The following lesson plans have been prepared by Vote Smart as a resource for teachers of government and social studies.
Lessons for Grades K-2
- Lesson 1 - What is a Representative?
- Lesson 2 - Why Are Representatives Important?
- Lesson 3 - What Should We Ask Our Representative?
- Lesson 4 - Writing a Letter to Our Representatives
Lessons for Grades 3-5
- Lesson 1 - Who is in Charge? The 3 Levels of Government
- Lesson 2 - What Makes a Speech?
- Lesson 3 - Respecting Opinions
- Lesson 4 - Let's Take a Vote
Lessons for Grades 6-8
Lessons for Grades 9-10
- Lesson 1 - What is a Special Interest Group?
- Lesson 2 - The Role of Special Interest Groups
- Lesson 3 - Politicians and Special Interest Groups
- Lesson 4 - Special Interest Group Ratings
Lessons for Grades 11-12
The K-12 civics curriculum 'Civics Matters' was written by teachers for teachers.
Help us improve the Civics Matters Curriculum
It is crucial for us to know how to improve our materials if we are to continue this program.
Please take a few seconds to sign up for our end of the year survey.