S 2205 - DREAM Act - National Key Vote
Issues Related to S 2205
Cloture Not Invoked
Oct. 24, 2007(Key vote)
See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: DREAM Act
Vote on a motion to invoke cloture to take up debate on a bill that would allow the Secretary of Homeland Security to adjust the status of certain undocumented immigrants to that of permanent resident.
- Allows the Secretary to cancel the removal of undocumented immigrants and adjust their status to lawfully admitted for permanent residence if they can prove that they have been present in the U.S. for no less than 5 years and were younger than 16 years old at initial entry, have been admitted to an institute of higher education or earned a high school diploma, have never been under a final judicial order of deportation, and have not yet reached the age of 30 years old (Sec. 3).
- Allows an undocumented immigrant with an adjusted status to retain a conditional permanent resident status for up to 6 years (Sec. 4).
- Allows someone with conditional permanent residence to become a permanent resident if they have "demonstrated good moral character," have not been absent from the U.S. for over a total of 365 days during their conditional residence, have acquired a higher education degree, have served in the uniformed services for at least two years and have provided a list of secondary schools attended within the U.S. or with the absence of a higher education degree or military experience, can demonstrate compelling circumstances for the inability to complete a degree or military service or can demonstrate that removal from the U.S. would result in "exceptional and extremely unusual hardship" (Sec. 4).
- Allows undocumented immigrants who are at least 12 years old and meet the requirements to obtain an adjusted status to qualify for a stay of removal if they are enrolled full time in a primary or secondary school (Sec. 7).
- Allows undocumented immigrants with adjusted lawful permanent resident status to be eligible for student loans and federal work-study programs (Sec. 10).
NOTE: THIS IS A VOTE TO INVOKE CLOTURE ON A MOTION TO PROCEED, WHICH SENDS THE LEGISLATION TO THE FLOOR OF THE SENATE FOR DEBATE AND AMENDMENT. A MOTION TO PROCEED ALONE REQUIRES A MAJORITY FOR APPROVAL. HOWEVER, THE MOTION CAN BE FILIBUSTERED, AND WHEN THIS OCCURS, A CLOTURE VOTE IS NECESSARY TO VOTE ON THE MOTION TO PROCEED. A THREE-FIFTHS MAJORITY OF THE SENATE IS NECESSARY TO INVOKE CLOTURE.
Legislation - Introduced (Senate) - Oct. 18, 2007
Title: DREAM Act
- Charles T. 'Chuck' Hagel (NE - R) (Out Of Office)
- Patrick J. Leahy (VT - D)
- Richard G. 'Dick' Lugar (IN - R) (Out Of Office)