HR 2956 - Redeployment from Iraq Act - Key Vote
National Key Votes
- July 16, 2007 Senate Bill Sent To Committee
- July 12, 2007 House Bill Passed
- July 10, 2007 Introduced
Legislation - Bill Sent To Committee (Senate) - July 16, 2007
Legislation - Bill Passed (House) (223-201) - July 12, 2007(Key vote)
Title: Redeployment from Iraq Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that reduces the presence of the U.S. armed forces in Iraq by April 1, 2008.
- Requires the Secretary of Defense to begin reducing the number of armed forces in Iraq 120 days after the enactment of this act and to have only a limited presence in Iraq by April 1, 2008 (Sec. 3[a]).
- Requires the reduction of armed forces to be conducted in a safe and orderly manner, taking into primary consideration the safety of the armed forces (Sec. 3[b]).
- Requires the President to present before Congress a comprehensive plan for the United States and Iraq no later than January 1, 2008 (Sec. 4[a]).
- Establishes that the comprehensive plan for Iraq must include justification for the plan, including a broader explanation of United States security interests in the Middle East, a justification for the troop levels for the basic security presence that will remain in Iraq, and explanations of the number of troops it requires to accomplish missions, the cost of the missions, and the duration of missions (Sec. 4[b]).
- Requires the following four missions to be a part of the comprehensive plan, as well as an explanation of whether or not armed forces will be required to achieve the following missions (Sec. 4[b(3)]):
- Protecting United States diplomatic facilities and armed forces engaged in missions;
- Service in customary diplomatic positions, eliminating Al-Qaeda and its affliates in Iraq; and
- Training and equipping the members of the Iraqi Security Forces.
- Requires the comprehensive plan to specify plans for diplomatic actions to engage U.S. allies and others in the region to help with Iraq (Sec. 4[b(4)]).
- Requires the President to submit an update to the appropriate congressional committees every 90 days beginning July 1, 2008 (Sec. 4[c]).
Legislation - Introduced (House) - July 10, 2007
Title: Redeployment from Iraq Act
- Ike Skelton (MO - D) (Out Of Office)
- Xavier Becerra (CA - D) (Out Of Office)
- Nancy E. Boyda (KS - D) (Out Of Office)
- Robert A. 'Bob' Brady (PA - D)
- Bruce Braley (IA - D) (Out Of Office)
- Kathy Castor (FL - D)
- Yvette Diane Clarke (NY - D)
- James E. 'Jim' Clyburn (SC - D)
- Stephen Ira 'Steve' Cohen (TN - D)
- Joseph D. 'Joe' Courtney (CT - D)
- Elijah E. Cummings (MD - D)
- Susan A. Davis (CA - D)
- Rosa L. DeLauro (CT - D)
- Rahm Emanuel (IL - D) (Out Of Office)
- Gabrielle Giffords (AZ - D) (Out Of Office)
- Kirsten E. Gillibrand (NY - D) (Out Of Office)
- Philip G. 'Phil' Hare (IL - D) (Out Of Office)
- Jane Harman (CA - D) (Out Of Office)
- Mazie K. Hirono (HI - D) (Out Of Office)
- Paul W. Hodes (NH - D) (Out Of Office)
- Steny H. Hoyer (MD - D)
- Sheila Jackson Lee (TX - D)
- Henry C. 'Hank' Johnson Jr. (GA - D)
- Walter Beaman Jones Jr. (NC - R)
- Steven L. 'Steve' Kagen (WI - D) (Out Of Office)
- Tom Lantos (CA - D) (Out Of Office)
- Richard Ray 'Rick' Larsen (WA - D)
- John B. Larson (CT - D)
- David W. 'Dave' Loebsack (IA - D)
- Tim Mahoney (FL - D) (Out Of Office)
- Kendrick B. Meek Sr. (FL - D) (Out Of Office)
- George Miller (CA - D) (Out Of Office)
- Patrick J. Murphy (PA - D) (Out Of Office)
- David Ross 'Dave' Obey (WI - D) (Out Of Office)
- Frank J. Pallone Jr. (NJ - D)
- Nancy Pelosi (CA - D)
- Ed Perlmutter (CO - D)
- Loretta L. Sanchez (CA - D) (Out Of Office)
- Carol Shea-Porter (NH - D) (Out Of Office)
- Louise McIntosh Slaughter (NY - D) (Out Of Office)
- Ellen O. Tauscher (CA - D) (Out Of Office)
- Christopher 'Chris' Van Hollen Jr. (MD - D) (Out Of Office)
- Timothy J. 'Tim' Walz (MN - D)
- Peter F. Welch (VT - D)