HR 4579 - Tax Cut bill - Key Vote
National Key Votes
Legislation - Placed on Calendar (Senate) - Sept. 29, 1998
Legislation - Bill Passed (House) (229-195) - Sept. 26, 1998(Key vote)
Title: Tax Cut bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill to cut taxes for married couples, farmers, students, and others, and to set aside a portion of the budget surplus for Social Security.
- Establishes the "Protect Social Security Account" to set aside 90 percent of the budget surpluses for Social Security until a reform measure is passed.
- Reduces the "marriage penalty" by making the basic standard deduction on a joint return equal to twice the deduction of a single return.
- Increases the exemption from estate and gift taxes to $1 million.
- Eliminates federal taxes on the first $400 of interest and dividend income for joint returns and $200 for single returns, except for capital gain dividends from regulated investment companies and real estate investment trusts.
- Increases the limits on earnings before there is a reduction in benefits for individuals who have attained retirement age but are under age 70.
- Allows a 100 percent deduction on health insurance for self-employed individuals.
- Extends the credit for increasing research activities, the work-opportunity credit, and the welfare-to-work credit from April 30, 1999 to February 29, 2000.
Legislation - Introduced (House) - Sept. 16, 1998
Title: Tax Cut bill
- William Reynolds 'Bill' Archer (TX - R) (Out Of Office)
- Thomas J. 'Tom' Bliley Jr. (VA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Jim Bunning (KY - ) (Out Of Office)
- David Lee 'Dave' Camp (MI - R) (Out Of Office)
- Jon Lynn Christensen (NE - R) (Out Of Office)
- Michael Allen 'Mac' Collins (GA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Philip M. Crane (IL - ) (Out Of Office)
- Jennifer B. Dunn (WA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Philip 'Phil' English (PA - R) (Out Of Office)
- John Eric Ensign (NV - R) (Out Of Office)
- Elton W. Gallegly (CA - R) (Out Of Office)
- James C. 'Jim' Greenwood (PA - ) (Out Of Office)
- John David 'J.D.' Hayworth Jr. (AZ - R) (Out Of Office)
- Amory 'Amo' Houghton Jr. (NY - ) (Out Of Office)
- Kenny C. Hulshof (MO - R) (Out Of Office)
- Samuel Robert 'Sam' Johnson (TX - R)
- James O. 'Jim' McCrery III (LA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Robert J. 'Rob' Portman (OH - R) (Out Of Office)
- James M. 'Jim' Ramstad (MN - R) (Out Of Office)
- E. Clay Shaw Jr. (FL - R) (Out Of Office)
- William M. 'Bill' Thomas (CA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Wesley 'Wes' Watkins (OK - R) (Out Of Office)
- Gerald C. 'Jerry' Weller (IL - R) (Out Of Office)