SB 853 - Prohibits Cities from Restricting Plastic Bags - Michigan Key Vote
Issues Related to SB 853
Legislation - Referred to Committee (House) - May 10, 2016
May 10, 2016(Key vote)
See How Your Politicians Voted
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that prohibits a local government from restricting the use of plastic bags and other containers.
- Prohibits a local government from adopting an ordinance regulating, prohibiting, restricting, or establishing a tax on bags, cups, bottles, or other packaging that meet the following criteria (Secs. 1 & 2):
- The container is made of substances including, but not limited to, plastic, paper, and cloth; and
- The container is designed to transport or protect merchandise, food, or beverages.
- Specifies that the provisions of this bill do not affect recycling programs or littering ordinances (Sec. 3).
Legislation - Introduced (Senate) - March 15, 2016
Title: Prohibits Cities from Restricting Plastic Bags
- Commerce and Trade (Sponsor)