HR 5759 - Preventing Executive Overreach on Immigration Act of 2014 - National Key Vote
Issues Related to HR 5759
Dec. 4, 2014(Key vote)
See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Preventing Executive Overreach on Immigration Act of 2014
Vote to pass a bill that prohibits the executive branch from exempting or deferring, by executive order or otherwise, undocumented individuals from deportation pursuant to existing immigration law, effective retroactively to any such exemption enacted beginning November 20, 2014.
- Prohibits the executive branch from using an executive order, regulation, or any other means to exempt undocumented individuals who are considered to be unlawfully present in the United States in accordance with The Immigration and Nationality Act from being deported (Sec. 3).
- Prohibits the executive branch from treating such undocumented individuals as if they were lawfully present or had a legal immigration status (Sec. 3).
- Specifies that exceptions to the provisions of this act will be made under the following circumstances (Sec. 3):
- In cases where these provisions are prohibited by the U.S Constitution;
- In cases where federal, state, or local law enforcement agencies request to keep an undocumented individuals in the United States to be tried for crimes or to be witnesses at trial; or
- In cases where undocumented individuals are at imminent risk of serious bodily harm or death upon returning to their country of origin.
- Specifies that any action by the executive branch with the purpose of circumventing the objectives of this act shall be null and void and without legal effect (Sec. 3).
Legislation - Introduced (House) - Nov. 20, 2014
Title: Executive Amnesty Prevention Act of 2014
- Louis J. 'Lou' Barletta (PA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Morris J. 'Mo' Brooks (AL - R)
- Bradley Byrne (AL - R)
- John J. 'Jimmy' Duncan Jr. (TN - R) (Out Of Office)
- Louie Gohmert (TX - R)
- David W. Jolly (FL - R) (Out Of Office)
- John P. Kline (MN - R) (Out Of Office)
- Doug LaMalfa (CA - R)
- Billy Long (MO - R)
- Tom McClintock (CA - R)
- David B. McKinley (WV - R)
- Richard B. 'Rich' Nugent (FL - R) (Out Of Office)
- Steven McCarty Palazzo (MS - R)
- Robert M. Pittenger (NC - R) (Out Of Office)
- Harold 'Hal' Rogers (KY - R)
- Lee R. Terry (NE - R) (Out Of Office)
- Ann Wagner (MO - R)