HR 6213 - No More Solyndras Act - Key Vote
National Key Votes
Legislation - Referred to Committee (Senate) - Sept. 19, 2012
Legislation - Bill Passed (House) (245-161) - Sept. 14, 2012(Key vote)
Title: No More Solyndras Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
A vote to pass a bill that limits the continuation of loan guarantees under the Energy Policy Act of 2005.
- Prohibits the Secretary of Energy from issuing new loan guarantees after December 31, 2011 (Sec. 3).
- Requires the following action to be taken when considering pending applications submitted before December 31, 2011 (Sec. 3):
- The Secretary of Treasury must write an analysis of the financial terms and conditions of the loan guarantee proposed by the Secretary of Energy; and
- The Secretary of Energy must submit a written explanation of their guarantee to the Committee on Energy and Commerce, the Committee on Science, Space, and Technology, and the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources if the guarantee is inconsistent with the Secretary of Treasury’s written analysis.
- Requires the Secretary of Energy to submit a report to House and Senate committees that includes the following (Sec. 3):
- The decision making process the Secretary of Energy used to make the guarantee;
- The terms of the guarantee;
- The recipient; and
- The technology and project for which the guarantee will be used.
- Prohibits the reorganization, restructuring, and termination of guarantees from being subordinated to other financing (Sec. 5).
- Requires the Comptroller General to conduct a study from fiscal years 2003 to 2012 that focuses on federal subsidies in energy markets and identifies the following (Sec. 7):
- Costs to the United States Treasury;
- Impacts on United States energy security;
- Impacts on electricity prices;
- Impacts on transportation fuel prices;
- Impacts on private energy-related industries not benefiting from Federal subsidies in energy markets;
- Federal subsidies provided to foreign persons or corporations; and
- Subsidies and direct financial interest in support of energy markets of the 15 foreign countries with the largest gross domestic product.
- Defines “Federal subsidies” as “Federal grants, direct loans, loan guarantees, and tax credits, and other programmatic activities targeted at energy markets and related sectors, relating to specific energy technologies” (Sec. 7).
Legislation - Introduced (House) - July 26, 2012
Title: No More Solyndras Act
- Dan Benishek (MI - R)
- Marsha Blackburn (TN - R)
- Michael C. Burgess (TX - R)
- William 'Bill' Cassidy (LA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Renee Ellmers (NC - R)
- Jeff Flake (AZ - R) (Out Of Office)
- Phil Gingrey (GA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Gregg Harper (MS - R)
- Leonard Lance (NJ - R)
- Thomas P. 'Tom' Latham (IA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Suellen W. 'Sue' Myrick (NC - R) (Out Of Office)
- Pete Olson (TX - R)
- Joseph R. 'Joe' Pitts (PA - R)
- Mike Pompeo (KS - R)
- Mike Rogers (MI - R) (Out Of Office)
- Timothy E. 'Tim' Scott (SC - R) (Out Of Office)
- Clifford Bundy 'Cliff' Stearns (FL - R) (Out Of Office)
- Steve Stivers (OH - R)
- John A. Sullivan (OK - R) (Out Of Office)
- Lee R. Terry (NE - R) (Out Of Office)
- Edward 'Ed' Whitfield (KY - R)