SB 5407 - Prohibits Drivers Licenses for Undocumented Immigrants - Key Vote
Washington Key Votes
Legislation - Motion Rejected (Senate) (23-25) - March 16, 2011(Key vote)
Title: Prohibits Drivers Licenses for Undocumented Immigrants
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that refuses to issue a driver's license to those individuals who cannot meet the identification requirements.
- Requires applicants to show one of the following in order to apply for a state driver's license (Sec. 1):
- A valid or recently expired state driver's license;
- An identification card issued by the United States, or by a state or an agency of the United States, including military identification cards and passports; or
- A United States citizenship and immigration services form.
- Requires applicants to provide the following to apply for a driver's license (Sec. 2):
- Name of record;
- Date of birth;
- Washington residence address;
- Documentation proving Washington residency;
- Description; and
- Social security number along with proof that they reside lawfully in Washington.
- Establishes that the State shall provide the driver's license expiration date in accordance to the expiration date of those with an Immigration Visa (Sec. 3).
- Establishes that an applicant who makes a false statement on an application for a driver's license or driver's instruction permit is guilty of false swearing, which is a gross misdemeanor (Sec. 5).
- Establishes a $20 fee for renewing an identification card (Sec. 9).
- Specifies an effective date of January 1st, 2012 (Sec. 14).
Legislation - Introduced (Senate) - Jan. 24, 2011
Title: No Drivers Licenses for Undocumented Workers