Today, Congressman Eric Cantor (VA-7) presented eleven veterans from Virginia's Seventh District with the 2013 Congressional Veteran Commendation during a ceremony at the Virginia War Memorial:
"Each year the Congressional Veteran Commendation gives us an opportunity to honor the veterans in our community and preserve their stories. Today, I had the privilege of presenting eleven distinguished veterans from the Seventh District of Virginia with the Congressional Veteran Commendation. Each of these heroes selflessly served their neighbors and their nation. We are forever indebted to all our soldiers and their families for the sacrifices they made to defend our freedoms."
2013 Congressional Veteran Commendation Recipients:
* State Command Chief Master Sergeant Robert N. Barnette, Jr., Hanover
* Captain Jimmy R. Calhoun, Culpeper
* Staff Sergeant Luke Cassidy, Chesterfield
* Captain John H. Hager, Richmond
* Second Lieutenant Arthur M. Hall, Richmond
* Captain Cathy A. Harrison, Chesterfield
* Rear Admiral John G. Hekman, Henrico
* Private First Class Thomas E. Mallory, Orange
* Captain James R. Mims, Jr., Richmond
* Petty Officer Second Class Thomas E. Perkins, Culpeper
* Staff Sergeant Russell Scott, Chesterfield
Background: The Congressional Veteran Commendation (CVC) was created in 2002, in conjunction with the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress, to honor the distinguished veterans from Virginia's Seventh Congressional District and preserve their stories for future generations of Americans.