Today, Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, a senior member of the Florida Congressional delegation, voted in favor of H.J.Res. 76, the Nuclear Weapons Security and Non-Proliferation Act. This bill would provide funding for the maintenance and security of America's nuclear arsenal, non-proliferation efforts, and other strategic tasks undertaken by the National Nuclear Security Administration during the shutdown or until December 15, 2013. Statement by Ros-Lehtinen:
"The nuclear arsenal of the United States must always remain ready and our nuclear non-proliferation efforts must continue unabated at all times. America's enemies are unpredictable and will exploit any advantage so we must remain ever vigilant.
As Iran and North Korea continue their ambitions toward strengthening their nuclear programs, it is crucial that our important initiatives continue to be funded for the sake of our national security. This bill will help fund one of the watchdog agencies that monitor proliferation efforts in our country and abroad. Our nation should not be fooled by the Rouhani ruse and if Assad remains in power, we must make certain that proliferation-sensitive materials and technology do not fall into the wrong hands."
Note: In addition to other funding bills, Ileana has voted to:
* Fund Head Start for our children (H.J.Res. 84)
* Inspect medicine and food (H.J.Res. 77)
* Pay furloughed and non-furloughed federal workers (H.J.Res. 3223)
* Feed pregnant women and their kids (H.J. Res. 75)
* Help communities recover from hurricanes (H.J. Res 85)
* Fund our veterans programs (H.J. Res. 72)
* Protect our nation with National Guard and Reserves (H.J. Res 3230)
* Treat kids with cancer (H.J. Res. 73)
* Fund the FAA (H.J.Res. 91)
* Help military families (H.J. Res. 90)
* Open parks and monuments (H.J. Res. 70)
* Secure our border (H.J. Res. 79)