Today, Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, a senior member of the Florida Congressional delegation, voted in favor of H.J.Res. 91, the Honoring the Families of Fallen Soldiers Act. This bill would provide immediate funds for death benefits to military families who have lost a loved one in the service of our nation.
Said Ros-Lehtinen, "Military families are American heroes in their own right and I value the sacrifices of these patriots. My husband, Dexter, is a Vietnam combat veteran who was severely wounded and proudly wears his wounds as a badge of honor. My stepson, Doug, and daughter-in-law, Lindsay, both served in Iraq as Marine officers and Lindsay also served in Afghanistan. Dexter, Doug, and Lindsay know the pain of losing some of their band of brothers and understand the pain of families and survivors all too well. Our friends and neighbors who have lost loved ones should not have to face yet another burden in the face of tragedy. America's military families should not be the sacrificial lambs of the government shutdown."
Note: In addition to other funding bills, Ileana has voted to:
* Fund Head Start for our children (H.J.Res. 84)
* Inspect medicine and food (H.J.Res. 77)
* Pay furloughed and non-furloughed federal workers (H.J.Res. 3223)
* Feed pregnant women and their kids (H.J. Res. 75)
* Help communities recover from hurricanes (H.J. Res 85)
* Fund our veterans programs (H.J. Res. 72)
* Protect our nation with National Guard and Reserves (H.J. Res 3230)
* Treat kids with cancer (Research for Lifesaving Cures Act, H.J. Res. 73)
* Open parks and monuments (H.J. Res. 70)